One of the finest collections of gold ever discovered in Ireland was unearthed in Broighter in 1896. The 2000-year-old hoard included a small boat-shaped ornament, a bowl, neckless and an intricately carved tonic of Celtic design.The original collection is now in the National Museum of Ireland, Dublin.
Most historians date the cross to the 7th century and a few others date it to the 5th Century. The majority clearly state that it is a Christian cross, however the symbols on it are clearly pre-Christian.
Featuring Saint Colmcille (Colomba), Patriarch of the Irish Monasticism and Scottish Church. The story is told with artistically designed banners, stained glass, illustrated panels and step by step illustration of ancient manuscript fabrication
The central tower of the Castle is surrounded by a powerful bawn-wall over looking the sea on three sides. As one of Donegal's strongest fortifications, Doe Castle played a pivotal role in Irish history.
In the sixth century, Glencolmcille was chosen as a base by St. Columba, one of Ireland's three patron saints, along with Patrick and Brigid. The name Glencolmcille, or "Gleann Cholm Cille" in the Irish language, literally means "The Glen of St. Columba's Church."